Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 7 June 2014

FNWF and Canadian Quilt Talk Postcard Swap


Friday Night With Friends started just after lunch - well I do have some Australian friends to sew with!
My aim for the afternoon was to get on with some postcards for the Canadian Quilt Talk Canada Day postcard swap. This is being organised by Brandy Lynn and all cards need to be in the post in time to arrive for Canada Day on July 1st.

The theme for the postcard swap is appropriately Maple Leaf.

I knew that I wanted to use this for my background.


It is a collage of painted newspaper and painted bondaweb a la Kim Thittichai which I put together a couple of years ago.

My first task was to make a maple leaf print block from Funky Foam and Foam Core Board.



Fortunately the temperature outside was around 30 degrees so my layer of sealing varnish on the block dried in super quick time!

When I am printing I usually have a 'practice piece' that I print on to before printing onto my finished piece.

I used three different green acrylic paints but in the end decided that only the darkest and the lightest would be best.

Here is my practice piece


which I love! It's on brown paper which means I will be able to crumple it up to give it more texture and then stitch into it.

Here is my printed piece for the postcards.


I use a roller to put the paint onto my block and I use the roller to give me some secondary prints.




Again, I am really pleased with these and they will make great backgrounds for future work.

Back to my postcard piece and I sprinkled it with green and bronze glitter - well this is a celebration! - some supermend and then ironed on a turquoise sheer fabric to enclosed any rough edges.


Here are my four cards ready for machining - oops! no picture of the machining I did. I will post one soon of the completed postcards as that was as far as I got that afternoon.

I spent all afternoon looking at, but not touching, this tray of brownies ready for the Strawberry Tea fundraiser for our Church where we have been helping all day today.


I did get to try a small piece today and it was scrummy!

So to yesterday evening and I finished off the embroidery on this


my ongoing project for a sewing machine cover. I also started adding hexies to the top to shape the cover.

Hope you all had a good FNSI and are enjoying your weekend.

Lin xx

9 comments:

  1. WOW I love the Maple leaf, and the Brownie looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. so clever with your interesting cards and I love the look of your maching cover...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lin,

    Such a interesting post, love how you show the process of things. Your sewing hexie cover is amazing.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lin, thanks for sharing your postcard techniques cant wait to see the finished cards. The machine cover is looking fab. Still in envy of your embriodery skils. X:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Achei muito interessante o processo de pintura.
    Também me inscrevi para esta troca de cartões. Não conheço o maple e tive que pesquisar para saber mais.
    O bordado sobre os hexagonos está muito delicado e alegre. A peça final certamente ficará encantadora.
    Um abraço!
    I found very interesting the painting process.
    Also signed up for this exchange of cards. I know the maple and had to search to find out more.
    The embroidery on the hexagons is very delicate and cheerful. The final piece will surely be lovely.
    Hugs!
    Egléa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pictures and explanation on how you made the neat background and stamps. Delicious looking brownies too. Your sewing machine cover is looking super and so nice and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lin so much for the explanation on how you do background and stamps for your postcards. The brownie mmmmm, I'm sure it tasted good, I love brownies. Your embroidery is enormously beautiful It really is a candy for one's eyes.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The maple leaf, so very Canadian! And, a very interesting process. I can taste the brownie and love the beautiful embroidery over the hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love your creativity with the maple leaf project!! Hmm, those brownies sure look delicious. And the embroidery on the hand dyed hexies is wonderful-you're going to cherish that piece when you're finished with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.