Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 17 September 2016

Friday Night Sew In for September

Twenty-five lovely ladies got together last night to sew - thank you very much Wendy for hosting us and you can visit Wendy's blog here to see what everyone was doing.

I have been reading this lovely book by Claire Wellesley Smith.


Slow Stitch means working with recycled or organic fabrics and threads dyed with locally sourced, natural dyestuff and working slowly and rhythmically with the seasons. Threads and fabrics are solar dyed over days or weeks and fabrics might be left outside to weather in sun, wind and rain. Now, I don't think shall be throwing out all my fabrics and starting again but I shall be having a go at dyeing some threads with fruit and leaves foraged from my garden. I was also keen to have a go at some of the simple stitching ideas shown in the book and made a start with this simple piece of dyed wool felt and some strips of my own dyed fabrics left over from my Rainbow Log Cabin.



I love wonky log cabin and I stitched these down by hand. You can see I have drawn in a line to mark my first row of stitching.


Here is the finished piece - it is about 7" square. I love the way this has turned out and also enjoyed slowly stitching along with everyone else.

13 comments:

  1. Like you, I won't be throwing everything out, but it's always interesting to try new ideas. Sometimes they offer new possibilities..!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Love your little creation, Lin. It is really cute. It is not in my nature to take things slowly. I am too much of a hyperactive impulsive firecracker to enjoy such a method. But I'll be very happy to watch what you can come up with this technique as it sounds interesting. Enjoy your newest craft. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the more relaxed nature of this piece.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I LOVE this! Great Job here. The simple grid, and contrasting color make the whole thing so much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your stitched project....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting little slow stitching project . I completely forgot it was Friday night with friends 😯

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the unique look of this block and the idea of slowing down is very appealing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly relaxing and rewarding way to stitch Lin. Glad you got to share it with us on Friday night. xox sugary hugs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lin,

    Your new book looks very interesting, I have dyed with plants a few times. You will find it a lot of fun. Your little stitched piece is so lovely, the bonus is this style of stitching is so individual. I can see you doing lots more from this book.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting book you have there Lin. The block looks good, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I really like that! What an interesting book!.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.